Front ElevationFrom North Street, the frontage is elevated above the road, Hamstone walls and steps to the front door with paved and loose gravel as well as mature plants and Spring/Summer plants. A front porch provides covered access to the front door. To the right is a storage workshop. To the left is a footpath which extends to the side of the house where the oil tank can be found. Also to the left is a raised wall and step up to lawn which is set on a slope and provides some access to the rear garden.
Rear AccessA right of access across a neighbouring property driveway leads to the parking area and access to the garage as well as wrought iron gated and railings providing access to the garden and steps down to the rear access to the house.
Ground FloorThe entrance porch opens through a wide timber door to the inner hall with front aspect windows offering natural light. To your right the hall opens to the wide and spacious sitting room with a feature hamstone wall which includes an open fireplace. (There are several small alcoves in the wall which are believed to have been small cupboards at one time, and a talking point is a splash of green paint which appears to be very old and initially resisted attempts to remove and has now been accepted as part of the history of the property). Front and rear aspect windows offer lots of light and low ceilings make this a cosy space. There is a box arch which leads to the dining area and this in turn has a door which takes you back to the hall and across from the entrance. The flooring in the entrance hall, living and dining room is beautiful reclaimed solid oak. So, back at the start point and now turning to the left, you pass the stairs and then enter to the kitchen/breakfast room. Featuring an AGA which provides hot water during the colder months and with a oil boiler tucked away in a cupboard which runs the central heating. A separate immersion tank on a timer provides hot water during the hotter months when the AGA is too effective. Featuring several beams, the kitchen is set over a pastel shaded tile floor with lower level wood panelling, exposed brickwork and large recess housing the AGA. Complimented with a seating area and space for food prep with sink and space for an under counter fridge. A walkway brings you to the rear of the property. The rear hall provides a walkway to the rear of the kitchen leading to a utility area and features an internal stain glass window as well as an external window helping to maintain the feeling of light. Within the utility area there is a stainless steel sink, with space for a washing machine, freezer and dishwasher. Also accessed from the rear hall is the home office which also doubles as a guest bedroom with a sofa bed and its own en-suite facility. A glazed door then opens to the rear patio garden.
First FloorThis is a big footprint and provides a large principal bedroom with en-suite and walk-in dressing area. A further 4 bedrooms are on this floor plus another 2 bathrooms, making this a great family space.
Rear GardenThe garden is set on a slope and is accessed up steps. The initial patio area to the rear is a great space to escape direct sunlight in the afternoons and evenings to dine al fresco. Up the stairs leads to lawned area and then at the very top is the 'secret garden', delightfully tucked away is a very private space which overlooks the rooftops, has high hedging to the rear which backs onto agricultural fields and offers outstanding views across the countryside with a wonderful backdrop of the sunsets.
Garage and ParkingParking for several vehicles in front of the garage which has space for a sizable car and comes with electric and light. Above the garage is a studio, ideal for your personal space as a separate office, artist/music studio or as the current owner has adapted, somewhere to enjoy your hobby such as with your train set. At the rear of garage is another large store room at ground floor level that is shelved and suitable for storage of various items.
Material InformationCouncil Tax Band: F The title to this property is Freehold Mains Water, Drainage and Electricity Oil Fired Boiler for the Central Heating System An AGA provides hot water during the colder months, this is then turned off during the summer an immersion tank on a timer then provides hot water The fireplace in the sitting houses an open fire We are informed that the chimney has been cleared every year, last cleaned May 2023 We are informed that the AGA is checked yearly along with the boiler, last serviced in October 2023 The drive to the rear which provides access to the parking and garage belongs to a neighbouring property with a right of access awarded to the owner of Langdons Mains water stop cock is by the front door as this was at one time 2 separate cottages The current owners had a water meter installed several years ago which is located at the bottom of the steps to the front This property is NOT Listed, however, it does sit within the village Conservation Area The property is being offered chain free
Book Excerpt 1993Somerset Villages, the houses, cottages and farm of Chiselborough (pub: 1993) Researched, prepared and published by the Somerset and South Avon vernacular building research group 13 NORTH STREET(HAMBLINS). Ref. 46. The original house comprised kitchen, cross-passage, hall and inner room. The property was very extensively renovated ca. 1965 and little of the original features have survived, either internally or externally to enable a date of build to be determined. However, a re-positioned datestone, which was previously on the South gable is inscribed 1598. Photographs taken in 1965 show that the roof trusses had purlins held by tusk tenons, suggesting that re-roofing took place early in the 19th century, probably when the 2-storey addition was built, and the house divided, probably at the cross-passage, into two cottages. DATE and DEVELOPMENT. Despite the absence of dateable structural features it seems likely, based on the plan-form and the date-stone, that the house dates from the late 16th century. In 1610 John Moore held a Copyhold, which he had inherited from his father Gabriel, and which comprised a cottage and one acre and a rood of land at a Lords rent of 3s. 4d. and subject to a fine of 5li. The following year a reversion was granted by Dorothy Wadham to Mary and Wilmot Moore and a fine of 2Ii. paid. In 1658 the lessee was Thomas Moore and he was succeeded by John Moore. A little later, after John and his widow Mary had died the cottage was taken in-hand by the lord of the manor and then it was said to be in a ruinous condition. However, it was later leased to John Hamlin for three lives and passing on his death to his widow Mary, all on the same terms as before. Edward Gould held the 3-life lease in 1742 and when he died in 1769 it probably passed to his widow as in 1779 Edward Hockey was granted a tenancy @ £2.2.0d. Lords rent on condition that ‘he to repair’. In 1789 the lease was taken by Arthur Dibble - this time for 99 years and 3 lives - again the acreage, Lords rent and herriot remained as early in the century. It seems that William Dibble took over the lease, probably when Arthur Dibble died in 1793; it remained in his name until ca.1842 and by then James Patten is quoted as joint ’owner’ and it was rented to William Langdon and William Davey. It continued to be divided into two cottages and in 1847 it was under-let to Isaac Langdon and Thomas Rendle. In 1864 (by then under the sole ownership of the Earl of llchester) it was rented to Charles Langdon - with a slightly reduced acreage - for £11 per annum. By 1891 however it had become part of the Manor Farm conglomerate and was hence occupied by two families of farm workers until vacated and sold for owner-occupation in 1965.
Based on a sale price of £800,000 the total amount of stamp duty payable will be:
Last updated: The calculator has been updated to reflect changes in stamp duty following the Mini Budget on 23rd September 2022.
* This value is based on the standard rate and not applicable to first-time buyers or buy-to-let / second home buyers.